272 Power Steering

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
edunne
Ireland

272 Power Steering

Post by edunne »

Hi all,
I'm fairly sure the power steering filter hasn't been changed on my 272 since it was new. I'm unsure as to where the power steering oil filter is located as I haven't done any steering servicing previously. Is it inside the reservoir or..? I've checked the earlier thread, can I check what's the best way to do this also as I'm really good at dismantling but not so hot on the reassembly !
Regards,
Evan
Current : Leyland 272 & Series 3 Landrover
Previous : Nuffield 465

edunne
Ireland

Re: 272 Power Steering

Post by edunne »

Hi all,
I forgot to ask, should the steering fluid level in the resevoir be at 1/2 ? Apologies for the basic questions.
Thanks
Evan
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

The filter is inside the reservoir 'can'. You unscrew the nut on the end and remove the lot. Bit awkward thanks to starting motor. The reservoir slides over an o ring to effect a seal. For some reason a new one DOES NOT come with the filter so it has to be obtained separately. The reservoir has to be filled with the tractor on full right lock. If you cant remember, fill it, leave the plug out and work it lock to lock before you put it back.

Regards
edunne
Ireland

Post by edunne »

Thanks again for your help, it's greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Evan
Michelaout
Canada

Post by Michelaout »

When you want to take thé power steering filter, how do you do that

Do you take off thé pin which holds the spring or you unscrew the stud
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

From (ever weakening) memory, you have to remove the stud in order to put the new filter element in without mangling it.
The handbook says 'Unscrew the stud.....' . It also says '..using nuts...' without telling you the thread. Can't remember but unc or unf.
Be careful not to overtighten the stud (about 10 lbf ft is sufficient) and particularly the nut which secures the reservoir (only about 3 lbf. ft.). The reservoir seals by sliding over an O ring rather than crushing up against a rubber ring as the engine oil filter etc.
Regards
X344chap

Post by X344chap »

Did mine a couple of weeks ago - easier to do with the starter out. The nut and washer came off the end of the stud which allowed me to pull the can off. The filter was blown out as it had not been changed in a while i think. Worth replacing the big o-ring which doesnt come with the filter as the o-ring gets forced into an almost triangular shape. Note that theres a notch in the can and that that must mate with the body of the pump or the o-ring will never seal. Ask me how i know. Full right steering lock when filling and fill to the neck with ATF.
3-4nm torque for the filter housing nut (2-3ft lbs) according to the manual.