Old stories, photographs, videos etc
Jeroen Sleijpen
Tractor God
Netherlands

[archive] Old photo's

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen »

Old Photo’s

Expublican:
If my memory is correct, that's Alan McPherson C block chief inspector on a 154 with bodywork to make it look like the rest of the tractor range.
The second photo was taken at the Royal or Royal Highland show.

JVP:
Hi expublican - Did you work at Bathgate? As soon as I saw Alan McPherson's name I thought I recognised it. -JVP
leirdalen wrote:Is the picture taken at the Training school.
No, that's the hills of Bathgate golf course in the background.
J V P wrote:hi - The two tractors in the background of the first picture are new and undelivered, therefore I would suggest the 154 is in fact a prototype 235 without decals at Bathgate. - JVP
J V P wrote:
Hi expublican - You're right about it being too wee for a 253 but as I stated I think it's a 235, the one with the 1.8 engine. The cab shown is a 'Q' cab. What did you do in Sales? I was at Mosside Farm. I used to have 'Flairs' like that! - JVP with one 'T'.
Ley154 wrote:Hi everybody. I would like to suggest that the 154 update is the prototype 184 with the correct f/g bonnet. I believe there were 2 of these and Will Charnley bought them both originally - he still has one and I'm currently talking with the owner of the other. In blue this type became the 235 when exported from Turkey ( but not officially to the UK) and remained the 184 in Turkey. Its sort of an 1800 engined 154. There are a lot of differences between this model and what did come to the UK as the Leyland 302 even though from a distance it looks identical. Nice to have another photo for the collection. John Poulter ( UK)

Leyland, Nuffield, BMC message board Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leylandnuffield/

Nuffield 10/60
Nuffield 10/42
Nuffield 342
Nuffield Universal 3
Leirdalen
Norway

Re: [archive] Old photo's

Post by Leirdalen »

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano »

the 184 charnleys have had a loader on it and was used for feeding cows in winter it was a barsteward to start it needed a raging inferno to get to fire up i was on standby with a can of drugs if the battery started to die but it usually did start unaided, in summer it got a haybob stuck on it just, aswell they were built in turkey they had a better chance of starting
diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano »

just a little insight into these bad starting noisy 1.8 s i recently rebuilt a 19j landrover 2.5 dont all groan at once they are actually far better than they get credit for . i was thinking about why these where so noisy and sluggish etc etc so i set about sorting mine so it starts ( very well now ) and makes some power ( quite reasonable too ) so after some head scratching and looking at what they did with a 200 tdi i decided to skim the block face down by .65mm to give some piston protrusion (a used gasket was 1.2mm ) so there was still some room left , so i had it done and was given all the bullshit by so called experts ( x being the unknown quantity and spert being a drip under pressure) about it wont run right etc etc etc . well it now starts very well in any cold weather its far quieter and makes a reasonble amount of power from the same fuel setting it doesnt cough n splutter on cold mornings it just starts and runs like it should but the biggest thing ive found is economy its far better on fuel than it was before and a local landrover repairer has been out in it and was shocked at how well it pulls and how quiet it is so my next experiment is on a 1.8 to see just how much i can improve it . oh yes i also fitted Monarch injector nozzles these are much better at atomizing the fuel .