help Leland 344 - lever to engage hydraulic and Pto stopped working

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
mikek
Great Britain

help Leland 344 - lever to engage hydraulic and Pto stopped working

Post by mikek » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:46 pm

just went to do last few small bales, I keep the lever permanently in hydraulic position and to engage the PTO I pull back hand clutch and after a couple of slight crunches and one or two had clutch movements the lever extends fully backwards ( actually a bit beyond its quadrant as it has been cut away to allow further back movement) and the pto engages. So all going well. one final bit to bale and tried to reengage the pto and the lever just went straight back beyond its normal position. NO pto movement! Went to check the holding nut of hand lever to shaft and it was tight, the hand lever was moving the ''shaft lever'' on the side of the tractor. I decided to tale the nut and spring washer off and remove lever handle, the
'' shaft lever'' seemed to allow itself to be pulled outwards about say half an inch and felt like it had come detached somehow but wouldnt slide out but I could push it back into position but even after lots of fiddling still wouldn't engage the pto and now none of the hydraulics are operable - so its something to do with that ''lever''. Have I done something wrong or what is the cause and any possible solution please. Many thanks for any thoughts as I am a bit in a mess as need to get back mowing very soon . Thanks very much for reading.

Bill Edwards

Re: help Leland 344 - lever to engage hydraulic and Pto stopped working

Post by Bill Edwards » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:16 am

Bad news I'm afraid, it sounds like the end has snapped off the shaft which attaches to the hand lever.

When I bought my 255 it had the exact same fault, the solution is to remove the back casting from the machine at which point it's easy enough to see and get to the broken piece and either weld it back together or replace.

It'll be about 12 years since I did mine so details are somewhat hazy, but it's basically remove the top piece which has the lift arms attached, linkages for the hydraulics, pickup hitch and a few bits and pieces. Be aware that it's very heavy to lift.

While you're in there clean out the strainer for the hydraulics.

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:47 am

hi that sounds like the pto selector is broken and id guess it was bent and thats why they cut the gate so the lever could go beyond its normal range of movement to compensate for the bent /broken selector it was quite a common problem mainly with heavy handed drivers , because it uses the six splines to drive the pto theres only six positions the splines are inline so its a narrow window for easy engagement and some not so patient types arent really going to get on well with them and many didnt .

mikek
Great Britain

Post by mikek » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Thanks very much Bill and Deano, I have now completed the dismantle. First removed the cover for the arms from the warrant 4x12mm no problem , then the 3 clevis . All ok 2 had nut and bolts and one had a strange washer arrangement.and then removed the pick up hitch securing lever.All lift arm assemblies completely removed.
Then moved to the pick up hitch /draw bar assembly= wow that took pretty much all day - after heat the two onto the back casting came ok ( 3/4 drive 30mm with long podger) the two lower ones connecting were a pain, got one off but the other just would not budge and rounded the nuts - ended up taking off the bracket with upward facing bolts that screw into the chassis. The one I couldn't get I had welded a nut onto it - no good, so I ground off the bolt head ( first checking that it would drift from out to inside because the bolt reduces to the thread and I thought sxxxt it may not drift but it does) only when I had dismantled the whole thing could I get enough purchase with a lump hammer to get the seized in bolt out.
All 16mm bolts holding the whole back section came out fine , all except two are facing you the other tw0 are coming from the front end.( there are also 2 dowels ). Had borrowed an engine lift so its now in my trailer on a fully packed wool bag and off to Charnleys in the morning to get the selector fixed. all that effort for such a small part. What puzzles me is what exactly drove the hydraulic pump , the whole thing just comes apart and no apparent drives?????.Thanks again for your responses hope my explanation can help in some way.

mikek
Great Britain

Post by mikek » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:09 am

to complete the story the problem was a snapped selector collar that surrounds the tube assy. The cause identified was worn teeth in the tube assembly and the pto shaft. So had to replace all three items!!!! I did get a leak where the selector shaft comes through the casting but that was down to the lack of a Belleville washer to compact the rubber seal. Btw the rubber seal was flat edged and I was given a round edged one ( rubber ring) as the correct but simply could get that into the hole so am hoping the flat edged one holds out
Interesting the hydraulic problem of the lowering of the arms( see my earl;ier thread) has been resolved as we found that the draft control valve was simply stuck in and the lever did nothing. This was removed and abraded and now all hydraulics work fine. I

Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Good to hear you've sorted it. I presume that in the course of this you worked out how the pump is driven. Have a look at Rick's excellent videos in the technical section if in any doubt or for that matter, just for interest.

Cheers

mikek
Great Britain

Post by mikek » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 pm

yes Paul its been an interesting ( but £700 expensive )exercise