Hydrostatic Steering Boxes

A place for projects, conversions, bitsas etc.......
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Hydrostatic Steering Boxes

Post by Rick Cobley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:04 pm

Hi, Many of the old faces here will remember me building my first hydrostatic box back in the spring of 2016 and testing it on one of my 10/60s.

I decided this new year that I really must push on now and convert my loader 10/60 also so this week I cleared some of my workshop and got stuck in. I had 2 more steering box castings machined ready in mid 2016 so it was only a matter of getting these together with the laser cut fitting plates and bolting things up.

Having completed the first part the next job was to machine the column shaft to fit and welding the splined stub to the bottom.

As you can see this worm is completely worn out which is why I selected it for the conversion. I could do with another worn one for the second box if anybody has one to save cutting a good one!

Finally the splined end is welded on to drive the orbital unit.

One done, one to go. I will complete the second steering box before going on to prefabricate other components ready to convert my loader tractor in the spring.

Regards Rick Cobley

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Re: Hydrostatic Steering Boxes

Post by Rick Cobley » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:47 pm

Hi, Between jobs this week got the second one converted...

Regards Rick Cobley

OnB
Great Britain

Post by OnB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:06 am

Hi Rick,

Do you do (or at least thought about doing) a conversion kit for people to buy from you or is there too much involved for a DIYer?

I'm currently doing the bushes on a 4/60 steering box by following your video. I'm actually trying to source some reasonably priced reamers, but at the moment I'm looking at £70 a pop. Quite a outlay for something I'm probably only going to use a couple of times...

Keep up the good work and thank you for posting such informative videos!

smallholder
Great Britain

Post by smallholder » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 pm

That looks very neat, so coming mainly from a car back ground and only running a Leyland 154 I keep coming across the term Hydrostatic, is there a simple explanation or is it just a posh word for Hydraulic?

Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:25 am

Hi OnB,

Someone else has recently asked the same question and basically I think it is a little beyond a kit as there is also machining to be done on the existing tractor front axle to.

I think cost would also make it to expensive, there is around £200 of hydraulic pipes alone, and then the cost of a Danfoss orbital steering unit. The ram around £200, pump £100 and then the many brackets, the reservoir, pump mount, filter it all adds up I think it would be well over £1K

Regards Rick Cobley

Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:44 pm

OnB wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:06 am
Hi Rick,

Do you do (or at least thought about doing) a conversion kit for people to buy from you or is there too much involved for a DIYer?

I'm currently doing the bushes on a 4/60 steering box by following your video. I'm actually trying to source some reasonably priced reamers, but at the moment I'm looking at £70 a pop. Quite a outlay for something I'm probably only going to use a couple of times...

Keep up the good work and thank you for posting such informative videos!
Reamers are not cheap, for a one off job it might be worth finding a local engineering place and getting them to ream it, preferably during someones lunch break which'll make it cheaper.