Project 344 brake job ( locking on RHS )

A place for projects, conversions, bitsas etc.......
ploughman

Re: Project 344 brake job ( locking on RHS )

Post by ploughman »

Loader work with a clutch riding driver! 384 here has dropped one, replacement engine sourced.
Regards
Harry

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano »

check your front pulley nut is on its that nut that pushes the gear up tight on the crank . any forward movement of the pto ends up through to the main drive spigot shaft and it bottoms out on the spigot bearing pushing the crank forwards i cant remember exactly what moves what within the gear box but it pushes the gears forward not sure if its the pto layshaft bearing gets moved on to first gear and it transfers through the gears it s something along those lines
diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano »

your 272 will have the heavier lift arms than a 344 it will have the lighter nuffield type square ended arms i cant remember off the top of my head if theres a difference in length ie the earlier nuff arms are shorter or not worth checking though .my 272 10 speed had lots of end float but it was caused by a knackered clutch it had been used and used by its previous owner with no clearance and you have clutch issues so very possibly related to the clutch , had your clutch plenty of free play on the pedal or was it at a point where you breathed on the pedal and it slipped .
Longshot
Great Britain

Post by Longshot »

Oh we have a couple of options here then deano & ploughman thanks for the replys

1. The first sign was an oil leak at the crank pulley , quite bad need to check that out if the nut has come loose or not .

2. Lift arms ok have to compare them .

3. Clutch seemed better on the 344 than the 272 IE it was more progressive but did break earlier on the travel , We are comparing manual to hydraulic !

4. Harry we have no loader on the 344 but do on the 272 need to talk more on this

Might need to split this post as we are wandering into an issue not related to the title ADMIN but thanks for your input
Longshot
Great Britain

Post by Longshot »

I have spoken to TSP they have suggested i take off the oil pump & examine the no1 crank journal to see if it has been worn beyond the point at which new thrusts & shims can be fitted , so that will be my next step before junking the motor .

Deano i had a quick squint at the crank pulley there are some threads showing inside the nut is this normal ? not got the 272 up the farm its still on logging duty 10 miles away so can't compare ( i know its not the same motor but would have been nice to check ) ill get up on the container roof & check the 270 engine i removed a couple of years ago .

Also i had a look at the engine no. it starts 34td is that a 384 prefix ????
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, I have often observed that the nut overhangs the threads!

Regards Rick Cobley
Longshot
Great Britain

Post by Longshot »

Ok thanks Rick I have been defeated by one crank main bearing nut tonight , I need a 1/2 “ wobble bar to get on the nut square with the socket .

I’ll try & find a bar tomorrow .
diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano »

a few threads showing is about right . you can have the crank reground on that front journal face to reduce the thrust washer thickness i cant remember the amount you can grind off but i remember reading about it and it did quote a few figures if it springs to mind which book i was looking at i ll let you know
Longshot
Great Britain

Post by Longshot »

Hi again well i got the oil pump off & main bearing cap , the trust bearing shoulder is gone . spoke to TSP & they said take crank out & have the remains of shoulder machined off & refit crank with new front trusts ensuring pulley goes back on tight then measure gap of rear face using a new thrust & feeler gauge then take 10thou off that & have a bronze ring made to take the rear trusts place . Then rebuild with the ring on crank .