Leyland 255 Electric Conversion

A place for projects, conversions, bitsas etc.......
farmerbraun
New Zealand

Re: Leyland 255 Electric Conversion

Post by farmerbraun »

My thinking on the steering was that by having a lower ratio means you won't need power steering at all - just more turns from lock to lock.
I think that the Ford D-series trucks had a low ratio.

farmerbraun
New Zealand

Post by farmerbraun »

Just one further thought on electrics and the PTO - why would you bother with drive shafts when another electric motor mounted on the implement would increase efficiency by eliminating drive-line losses?
Given that your Nuffield/Leyland electric tractor can carry quite a bit of battery energy , like saddle tanks either side of where the motor used to be, then just run a cable to the implement .
The reason I'm thinking about it is that NZ has decided to close its only oil refinery.
Yeah , that'll work LOL.
At least many of us can depasture our animals all year round. But supplements will still be necessary.
Imagine silage -making without diesel ; it's been done with horses , but talk about slow .
Hay making at least uses solar energy to preserve the feed. But for us , on a summer dry farm , with no irrigation it would be better to put half the farm in lucerne, although we would have to mow and wilt to prevent bloat.
In winter we can grow grass.
The lucerne would be on the heavy ground which then won't sustain cattle foot damage in winter; a bit counter-intuitive , in that lucerne normally goes on the light ground. But we're on our fifth cut this season from lucerne/chicory/plantain on heavy ground that cuts up and pugs in winter.
I can just see that little Taarup 405 , that we recently scored cheap, with a big electric motor on it.
LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

I'm not quite sure yet how much PTO work I will feasibly be able to do, since the extra drain might mean I am only able to do an hour or so of field work at a time. That is allot of the reason for building this, to find out exactly how much energy is needed to run turners, toppers, mowers.
That is a good point about wanting the PTO to keep running when I stop and set off though.

Mounting an extra motor on the implement does get a little tricky and would turn every implement into a little conversion project. It would need another motor and controller, possibly a reduction drive, and then a junction box to connect to the main tractor battery. Assuming both motor can run from the same voltage. Running DC HV cables back is also a bit of a hazard.

I did pick up a Leaf motor, controller, DC-DC and gearbox last month though. All for £500 which is a bargain. It's the gen 1 leaf motor, 280nm torque max up to about 5000rpm before it decreases up to the max rpm of 10,000. I will be speed limiting it!
The bonus of the gen 1 motor above later models is that this one has more torque, later models have higher power but that comes with keeping the max torque going to a higher rpm.
I can control it with an Arduino sending CANBUS commands to simulate the motor being in the car. I am probably going to remove the dashboard and put in a custom screen. In my MG project I kept all the original dials but in this I think I will want allot more information that I can't really show on the original binnacle.
farmerbraun
New Zealand

Post by farmerbraun »

In regard to P.T.O work , I've been thinking to resurrect my JF GCH 170 for the lucerne. Back in the day , it ran nicely on the 10/60.
But the thinking is that the sickle bar mower will come back into vogue when it is realised that the disc mowers are energy intensive. There are very good sickle bars , including double acting, available today.
Imagine a bunch of electric Nuffields with 3M sickle bars :-)
farmerbraun
New Zealand

Post by farmerbraun »

O.K it's not great unless you have enough of them ; beats the hell out of scythes though.

https://agriculture.newholland.com/nar/ ... /model-456
farmerbraun
New Zealand

Post by farmerbraun »

It could reasonably be argued that talk of electric Nuffields with front-end loaders , and sickle bar mowers, is overreaction.
And then there's the fact that we only had one oil refinery in NZ .
https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO2203/ ... reason.htm
LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

I think it's a worthy thing to look into. Even if it isn't suitable for hard field work now, it will still be fine for yard duties and hauling. For us it would do everything in the winter and everything minus mowing and baling in the summer. If it can do mowing that's great.

The thing with electric at the moment is that batteries are still improving, the motor power is there already and it's not all that hard to swap the batteries out in 5/10 years. You can also produce electricity on the farm with not a huge amount of investment, but making your own fuel is slightly harder to do. Anything you can do to increase energy self sufficiency is a good thing, and I think it's the best place to invest your money right now if you have the ability to do so.