register nuffield that has no reg number

An area for general discussion
barmingmotorcompany
Great Britain

register nuffield that has no reg number

Post by barmingmotorcompany »

Can i find out if my tractor has been registered in the past and where to find the chassis number or is it the same as the serial number

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Re: register nuffield that has no reg number

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, Most Nuffield's have the serial/chassis number on a brass plate below the injector pump on the right hand side of the chassis, and also stamped into the cast iron next to the brass plate.
Go to ebay and find one of the vin to reg adverts and give him the 5 or 6 digit number at the end of the sequence and for £10 they will provide the reg number if on the DVLA database ( no reg, no charge).
If you get the reg then fill in a V62 and pay £25 for a V5.

If no luck down that route, then its a simple process to get a age related number.

Regards Rick Cobley
barmingmotorcompany
Great Britain

Post by barmingmotorcompany »

Hi Rick thanks for that il give it a go.

Regards Gary
Morley
Wales

Post by Morley »

I Dave Morgan register tractors and in all my time doing it I have only ever had Swansea tell me that they have a record of that serial number. All records were destroyed in 1984 if a vehicle was not being taxed so I suggest you keep your money and ring me on 07747608341.
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Morley wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:25 pm I Dave Morgan register tractors and in all my time doing it I have only ever had Swansea tell me that they have a record of that serial number. All records were destroyed in 1984 if a vehicle was not being taxed so I suggest you keep your money and ring me on 07747608341.

Having read the above post a few day ago it has been causing me some concern and I feel I need to make clear the following;
Around this time last year, through Facebook, I became aware of people having success with Vin-to-Reg services on Ebay and having a few tractors without registration I decided to give it a try and contacted one through ebay.
The service starts by sending a message through Ebay with you tractor Vin number, a search is conducted and if a registration number is found you are informed and told to make the payment through Ebay and then after payment you are sent the registration number and you can then complete a V62 and obtain a registration document for your tractor,
IF THE SEARCH IS UNSUCCESFUL, THERE IS NO CHARGE! It works, I have found a tractor registration by this means, as have many other's.
Pat Pawsey of the Ford & Fordson Club now uses this service as a "first call" before going down the "Age Related number " route, because it is free if unsuccessful!

The other claim is "All records were destroyed in 1984 if a vehicle was not being taxed"
This is not the case, DVLA was set up in 1965 to register vehicles and has never destroyed records!
In 1983 local councils ceased to be a option to register vehicles and owners were given the opportunity to register with DVLA, some times the records from the council office were transferred to the "Records Office" for that county and if a record of the original registration of a vehicle is found, DVLA will issue a registration document for the tractor.

The post above in the quotation marks, is inaccurate, and unhelpful as it discourages owners to use their initiative to research the history of their tractor and obtain a registration document.

Regards Rick Cobley
Morley
Wales

Post by Morley »

Perhaps I should have made it clearer. In 1984 Swansea went from paper records to being computerised, if a vehicle that had a paper record was not being taxed then Swansea did not put this vehicle onto the computer and so on a search it will not show a record at Swansea, does that make it clearer they might somewhere have a record but probably will not look for it, as I stated earlier I have only ever had this happen twice and I have now been registering tractors since 1996.
Morley
Wales

Post by Morley »

Also in reply to Mr Cobley you cannot obtain a registration for a vehicle from a County Council record unless that REGISTRATION HAS THE VEHICLES SERIAL NUMBER AGAINST IT. It might show on the record what make of vehicle it is but that will not persuade Swansea to let you keep that registration. Unless you cross all the "T's" and dot the "I's" then Swansea will reject it.