3dl starter motor

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
Stanley
Ireland

3dl starter motor

Post by Stanley »

Hi All,
The starter motor on my 3dl it burnt out.
Looking for an affordable replacement.
Looking at this one on QTP. Which I can order in locally.
https://www.qtponline.com/products/star ... 61&page=2/

Description
Starter Lever Nuffield 4/60 10/60 - 12 Volt - RH Fit
11 Teeth

It doesn't state that it's for a 3dl but from other sites cross referencing the AMK1335 it fits 4/60, 10/60 4dm 3dl and 3/42

mike.l
Canada

Re: 3dl starter motor

Post by mike.l »

Hi I have a dl3 as well the starter for that tractor is no longer available but if you are mechanical a ford 3000 -4000 will fit you have to modify the nose cone of the starter and change the stud for the pump mount for a bolt there is a great video by Rick Cobly showing how to do it it does work and the tractor will start a lot better Mike
i will try to find the video link if i do i will attach it for youhttps://www.google.com/search?q=nuffield+starte ... sen++video
Stanley
Ireland

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Mike,
Yes I have seen Rick's great Video on that and it would be a lot handier having it on the key.
mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l »

Hi Did not realize it was not key start be careful that you have not got the old casting with a short nose, i am not sure that all these tractors had the same starter Mike
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, The 3DL will probably have the short starter housing, the Ford unit can be made to fit but will need a little grinding off the total length (1/8) and any high spots removing.

When I did one , I started with a air grinder with a small grinding wheel in the starter aperture and smooth off any high spots.
Next a quick spray with a black aerosol in the aperture and then quickly try the starter in the hole, remove starter and linish off any areas with black paint on , keep repeating until starter fits in the recess.

Regards Rick Cobley
Stanley
Ireland

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Rick. I'm going to have a go at it this weekend. I have an old cracked bell housing that I took off it and replaced years back which will be handy

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l »

HI Stanley you have the long nose cone just like me you will have no problem fitting the ford starter its a simple cut job you only need to cut enough te expose the starter gear but you will have to change the stud under the injector pump for a bolt we will all be here if you need help Mike
Stanley
Ireland

Post by Stanley »

Excellent thanks Mike. Will let ye know how it goes
Stanley
Ireland

Post by Stanley »

Fitted the ford 1000series starter earlier. Had to take off 2 square nuts and a small curved plate from side of engine as the diameter of the new motor is wider. Having an old bell housing cover to mark the end of the starter motor for cutting was really handy. Drilled bigger holes in starter to fit the original bolts. Bypassed the old solenoid and wired it up.
Works a treat.
Brilliant instructional video Rick. Many thanks for all the help Mike
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, Pleased to be of help