Dry brakes refurbishment guide

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
agroman
Great Britain

Dry brakes refurbishment guide

Post by agroman »

A well known problem - the binding or locking on of dry brakes. Is there a compete guide or information on the alterations that can be made to minimise the likelihood of this occurring? The link to the guide on the leyland nuffield ownersclub site won’t work for me.

I had a go at the brakes 3 years ago which got them working ok. I now have the left hand side binding and locking on now.

W reg Leyland 262 Syncro down in Kernow land
Dixie normous
Great Britain

Re: Dry brakes refurbishment guide

Post by Dixie normous »

Check the linings are not worn down, if they are OK you will need new balls and springs on the actuators. Make sure the ball ramps on the actuator units are spotless and don't use grease on the balls when you re-assemble them as the dust sticks to it, I found PTFE drylube spray works well. If the linings are worn right down the balls tend to go too far up the ramps on the actuators and jam the plates apart. The balls also tend to wear out of round causing them to stick so it's worth changing them whenever you do the brakes anyway.
Hope this helps
John
Black smoke dont mean its broke
agroman
Great Britain

Post by agroman »

Thanks for the reply John
When I took them apart 3. 1/2 years ago, I didn’t replace the friction plates so I was planning on new ones. I did replaces balls and springs but for the cost it is probably worth doing again then. I did read a post about machining the housing to account for any ware in the pressure plates.. I am thinking doing the friction plates and balls has got to be first attempt.
When using the tractor on my hedge trimmer I had a couple of difficult moments when the brake locked up whilst trimming at the top of a steep ditch 😱
The brake unlocks with quite a violent bang which can’t be good for the gearbox / half shafts etc.. and down right dangerous on the road!
Dixie normous
Great Britain

Post by Dixie normous »

They can be a real pain when they keep locking up, and scary when it happens on the road! Hopefully it's just worn plates and you'll get it sorted, good luck
Black smoke dont mean its broke
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

Have you remembered that JVP''s guide is available on this forum, kindly salvaged by Jeroen?

viewtopic.php?t=5157

Regards
agroman
Great Britain

Post by agroman »

Great thanks Nowtnew!
The link to this on the club website is broken and I didn’t save a copy when i last had a go at them 👍👍
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Nowtnew wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:32 am Have you remembered that JVP''s guide is available on this forum, kindly salvaged by Jeroen?

viewtopic.php?t=5157

Regards
All the data pages need checking for broken links!

Regards Rick Cobley