Leyland 255 Electric Conversion

A place for projects, conversions, bitsas etc.......
LrBen
Great Britain

Re: Leyland 255 Electric Conversion

Post by LrBen »

So the last couple months have been mostly designing the mount for the motor, which is now out for laser cutting. Once that was done I got the engine out, which is being broken down for parts if anyone is interested.

The rest of the time has been spent priming and painting. Finally warmed up just enough today to get some colour on.

It's not going to win any awards, I don't have the patience for painting which doesn't help. But it was never going to be a show pony.

This month I am hoping to have the motor and inverter mounted in position and have a few more things back on the tractor. That should give me an idea of space for batteries. At the moment it's looking like they should fit pretty comfortably.

LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

Got the motor in last weekend, then put on some tinwork to figure out what sort of space I have available.
It's looking quite good. Plenty of space for the inverter above the motor. Then roughly 200,000cm3 of space in front of the motor. The battery that I am looking to use takes up 100,000cm3 of volume. So for once there should be plenty of room to allow for packaging and the charger.

This weekend I then focused on getting the clutch in. Had to take the motor out a fair few times to get it right. There was some fine tuning to do to get the flywheel aligned just right, also to get the distance of the flywheel correct as well. Initially I had the flywheel too close to the gearbox, but I did design around having to change that distance, so it was just a case of turning down the spacer I have between the flywheel and support bearing.

Going to make a start on the pedals and inverter mounting next. Should have my parts back from laser cutting this week as well so I can look at putting the danfoss unit in for steering.
LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

This is the current state of the Leyland. Got most of the cab on, pedals and brakes hooked up and also put some of the tinwork back on.
However this current battery is a temporary one I took out of my MG, just putting it in to get it moving before I buy and build a more suitable pack.

I have most of the HV wiring done, just painting up the rims so I can fit some new tyres and then I can take it for a test spin.

Assuming that goes well I will then look at building up the new battery pack within the original tinwork space.
LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

Back on the Leyland as my main focus now the MG is back on the road again.

Got the rear rims painted and some new tyres put on last month. Although they are back off again so I could work on the wiring for the lights and finish the brakes.

Brakes and all the pedals were finished off today,

Got my first spin from the motor recently as well. Running with no coolant so not for very long. I also have no charger setup yet so can't really do that much testing.

With the brakes done all I really need to do now is finish the steering and we can get it moving for the first time. The orbital valve is now mounted to the steering column. Today I did a test fit of the Massey Ferguson steering ram, looks like it should work well. Need to make up some spacers and I think I'll add a cross brace from the axle side of the space to the middle of my bracket that holds the ram for some extra strength.

Next step is to find the right combination of track rod ends and ball joints to connect the two!
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, I think you will find on full lock the steering will go over centre and lock with the ram that far back!

Regards Rick Cobley
LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

Rick Cobley wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:14 pm Hi, I think you will find on full lock the steering will go over centre and lock with the ram that far back!

Regards Rick Cobley
Thanks for the advice! I never thought about that. I did have it that far out to clear the trunion pin nut, but I think I can modify my bracket to allow the ram to come forward a couple more inches.
LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

Managed to bring the ram closer to the axle so hopefully will avoid any lock ups.

Also made a bit of a summary video that gives a bit of an overview of the project and where I am up too right now.
LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

Figured out the track rod ends finally. Ended up getting some threaded inserts that push fit into some CDS tubing, which I also welded in. Then welded this to the original ball joints. The ball joints are in pretty good condition, just need some new gaitors.

So with that I was able to get steering for the first time!

Seems to work ok at this point. I'll paint everything up then put them back on for a final fit an as much as of an alignment as is possible.

At this stage everything is physically ready to drive. I have driven it a few cm forwards and backwards last weekend before the front wheels were hooked up. I still need to go through the electrical control side just to tidy everything up to the point where I can drive it properly. So probably another few weekends of messing with code.

I also have a working dash now. Will make some changes to this as time goes on.

LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

Well we are driving! Also got the charger working now so it's fully functional on the HV side of things.

Need to work a bit on the hydraulics now and also finish off the rear linkages. The arms are not lifting, although I do get pressure on the auxiliary hydraulic take off so I think the pump is working ok.
The pin that locks the arms in the upper position was rusted in the lock position, so potentially it points to a historic failure that was never fixed.

Once that is sorted I can do some work with it and look at putting in a properly fitted battery.
LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

Sorted out all the hydraulic issues and it's now fully functioning.

Got around to doing some work with it with a finger bar mower to top off some thistles and nettles.

Still plenty of improvements to make on it. I am getting a new battery next week, so at some point over the summer I will swap in a better battery. It will allow me to refit all the tinwork and also have around 4 x the capacity.

For some reason the left hand brake doesn't want to work, I think it might be something to do with the cross shaft. The bracket that holds the cross shaft took a bit of a beating when I was taking everything off of it. So I think something isn't quite aligning up anymore. The left brake foot pedal is to far over to the left and touching the floor panel. Would be nice to get both brakes working before I tow anything too heavy!

I expect it will see some work on the hay turner in a few weeks time. Hay making starts 2nd July here.