Project 272H

A place for projects, conversions, bitsas etc.......
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Re: Project 272H

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, One of the jobs last weekend was to remove the sump to give it a clean as there is always some sludge in them and also to see if there is anything in there that shouldn't be. In this case it turned out there was.

Its a 3/8 long 3/8 UNF cheese head screw and I can't work out where its from. Does anybody recognise it?

BTW its not from the end of the rocker shaft I have checked the two grub screws are in place!

Regards Rick Cobley

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, November 2017. Sadly Mary and me have not found time to bring the project forward any this year.

However it is not forgotten and when a wet braked rear end came up for sale recently from Tractor Spare Parts run by Joanna & Andy griffin I decided it would be a great addition to Marys tractor and make the braking more predictable!

Once I have washed it and checked out the brake mechanisms I will fit the complete trumpet housings which will save me the machining that I Harry had to do on his tractor when he fitted wet brakes.

Unloading the purchase at my farm.

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, December 2017. Today Mary and myself spent some time on this project.

First task was fitting the water pump that I had reconditioned earlier in the year with a repair kit from Charnleys but before we could do this we had to fit the water pump housing which was not straightforward.

When I offered up the water pump housing I found that the cylinder head fouled the top of the water pump housing resulting in me having to grind off around 4mm of metal before I could get it to fit. Has anybody come across this problem before?

I should add that I am fitting a BMC/Nuffield water pump to a Leyland 6/98 engine.

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, Having kept doing little bits to Mary's tractor the last few months such as brake linkage and foot plates, clutch, steering box, fuel tank and battery box etc we finally arrived at the stage of a drivable tractor and thought Easter Sunday was a good opportunity to give the tractor its first drive.

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, As I hate to see things that look bodged up I brought some 2.5" knuckle bends from Ebay. Today I have fitted them together with a few bits of straight pipe to make a one piece induction pipe. Now having checked the fit it just needs final welding up.

Regards Rick Cobley
John Shilliday
Great Britain

Post by John Shilliday »

Hi Rick

Great work as usual. This is a very interesting project and will be very useful to my self as I will soon have a similar job to do on a previously converted tractor. Although it was done very roughly and I hope to tidy it up and make it a lot neater.
Great that we have a new forum to exchange our knowledge and ideas and keep in touch.
Tell Mary I'm very jealous of her tractor, keep up the good work and regular updates.

Regards John (used to go under jonhasanuff) on old forum
M4 with P4 Perkins,Dm4 soon to have L4 Perkins fitted, 1060 4 cylinder Bmc and 1060 six cylinder Bmc coming soon.
Jeroen Sleijpen
Site Admin
Netherlands

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen »

The original post from the Conforums forum is now listed in the archives:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2545
Leyland, Nuffield, BMC message board Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leylandnuffield/

Nuffield 10/60
Nuffield 10/42
Nuffield 342
Nuffield Universal 3
fordelocks

Post by fordelocks »

Hi Rick

Yep i came across the water pump housing issue on a 4-89 I was fitting into our 10/60, over the last 10 years! There always seems to be more urgent jobs to do.
Jazo
New Zealand

Post by Jazo »

Hi Rick. Will this wet brake back end lower the gearing or is it 11/46?
3/45 with faster reductions and turbo
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi Jaso, Yes it is the 11/46 gears.