Project 272H

A place for projects, conversions, bitsas etc.......
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Project 272H

Post by Rick Cobley »

Back in February 2015 my daughter asked if I was going to "DO" another tractor? I thought about it set about a 272 a friend put my way last year with a seized engine. I fetched the tractor and then I got a phone call to say he had found some tin work. I was delighted to see that on the side panels it was marked 272H !

First job was to lift off the cab.

Then Mary an me scraped the grime off the skid with old wood chisels before finally pressure washing it.

Then remove the clutch , so the engine could be removed. The engine had been stripped to fit new liners and pistons but then open to the elements for some years. Its just scrap apart them the balance weights that I sent to Edward Weiss in South Africa.

The tractor had a new clutch fitted just before the engine failed. Wonder what caused these marks?

Will post some more pictures later.

Regards Rick Cobley

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Re: Project 272H

Post by Rick Cobley »

Next on my list was the brakes. From the amount of thread protruding I thought they needed some attention so when Mary was at school I stripped them ( Asbestos).

I found both expander's worn and cracked. I fitted some better ones from a 344 that had not seen much action and fitted new asbestos free linings.

I noticed the grove in the end of the brake shafts, that denotes they are made from EN354!

I had removed the top cover ( and refitted it) and found the gearbox needed some attention so started stripping.

It was filthy inside

Small hands help remove the pussy cat gearbox

Some parts had been removed to disable the 10th gear blocker

The high/low selector had an extra notch for the blocker. The high/low gear had pitting on the face and will be replaced.

The layshaft bearings were shot

More filth inside

The removed bearings

I noticed the bearings were 6210's not M210's. Could this be the reason for failure?

Next is to start the rebuild ( when I find time!).

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Mary and me got a bit more done to the tractor.

First she put the middle bearing in followed by the front bearing, rear circlip

Then drifted in the front bearing

Then the layshaft was drifted in from the rear. I have turned some cupped washers on my lathe so this can be done without damaging the shaft.

The front circlip goes in last

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Decided to do the halfshaft seals on the 272 H. I have had some spanners made to fit the halfshaft nut (pm me if you want one). I welded the spanner to a flat disc and then to an old socket.

Before I removed the half shaft I put a cut across the nut and the shaft as a guide when I put it back together!

Having fitted new saeals I stuck a new gasket to the seal housing with gasket glue

Having replaced the shaft and knocked it partially through the inner bearing I could get the nut on and carefully pull it back into place with my home made spanner and a ratchet.

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, Today I collected a PTO drive gear from the precision grinders.

There are two differences between the early Nuffield's and Leyland's. One is the ratio and the other is a oil seal.

The gear in the centre is the normal 10/60 pto drive gear. The gear to the right is a Leyland gear with a seal fitted. The gear to the left is my modified gear that has been ground to take a seal. A seal is seen resting on the top.

I do know a 10/60 gear was available as a service item with a seal, but I don't want to go into the availability and price of such an item!!!

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Did a bit more today. Tried in place the steel plate I have had laser cut to join the two halves of chassis when I fit the 6/98 engine. Can't remember where I got the idea for the shape!?

Then put the cutting template in place that I also had laser cut.

Then the cutting.

Then put the templates back on and check with a straight edge.

Finally Mary soothed off the sharp edges so we don't get any cut fingers!

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, Mary and me had some time on our project today. First job was to fit the laser cut cutting templates to the chassis.

Then scribe lines to cut to.

Before getting busy with the Still saw.

Then we pegged the bridging plates in place with a few bolts.

It will need a bit more grinding yet as the bolts are a bit tight in the holes.

The last task will be to put a long straight edge across the large machined area where the bell housing bolts and to check that the front engine mounting pads are exactly in line to minimise clutch spline wear!

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Mary and I had a good day at our project on Sunday. First I got her to press a rule against the machined area where the steering box bolts.

While I lined up the front engine mounting pad with it.

I then put a rule across front and back to check all is level.

Before applying lots of torque to all the bolts.

Its hungry work watching me do all this ( chicken tikka).

Next I drill and tap the rear bearing of the axle mounting block and fit its own grease nipple.

It can then be fitted, with the aid of the adaptor plate I had made for my special blend of Nuffield and Leyland parts.

Then a recon axle beam that I had previously welded the pin holes up and had machined back like new.Its fitted with one of a batch of pivot pins I had made. They are drilled so the grease nipple only lubricates the front bearing.

I finally fitted some very good condition used sliding axle beams and king pins from a scrap 3/42.

A rolling chassis again!

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, Now August 2016, not much happened to this project since November 2015 when I took time to develop the hydrostatic steering system that will eventually be fitted to it, though at Easter mary and me dropped in the 6/98 engine.

Today though due the the quantity of hay I have bailed the shed that has been its home for so long is required for stacking hay so the 272H got moved to to another shed.

Hopefully after harvest we can get stuck back into it!

Regards Rick Cobley
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, Now January 2017. Having got the lathe located against the wall that had been blocking my small ( and warm) workshop today Mary and me got the 272H pushed into the warm shed.

Its over a year since I knocked the core plugs out, but once in the warm Mary set about replacing them.

I hope now that we will make weekly progress with the tractor!

Regards Rick Cobley