A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
TheCounty
Canada

Cold Start button stuck

Post by TheCounty » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Hi all.
Getting around to some tractor chores.
A 1968 4/65 . Simms injector pump.
Gaiter missing and cold start button or excess fuel shaft is stuck 20mm deep in hole. (Not my doing and don't know for how long).
Can I remove the nut/nest piece on the other side to access and or replace the return spring or if that is removed will bits fall down internally into pump?
Tractor is starting and running ok as is.
Looking in with a light, the end of the pin appears machined smooth and not broken off or such.
Cheers
TheCounty

jxt737
Canada

Re: Cold Start button stuck

Post by jxt737 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:42 pm

I am interested in what answers you get. As posted earlier I have a 1968 4/65 with the pump is stuck. No gaiter, but spring still on

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:15 pm

hi . pull the stop lever to the stop position this will normally resett the excess fuel button then get hold of the button with some grips and twist it back n forth spray some WD40 on it too . check your pump has plenty of oil in it

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:15 pm

hi . pull the stop lever to the stop position this will normally resett the excess fuel button then get hold of the button with some grips and twist it back n forth spray some WD40 on it too . check your pump has plenty of oil in it

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 pm

diggerdeano wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:15 pm
If it doesn't work first time, repeat :D

TheCounty
Canada

Post by TheCounty » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 am

Thanks for the replies, but as mentioned the "button" is recessed 20mm deep into the hole.
Nothing to grab onto. That is why I want to access the tractor side & push it out.
Do not want any bits falling where they do not belong if the tractor side sleeve that the pin/button/spring reside in is removed. This is why I'm asking if doing that in situ is safe. Otherwise pump removal etc at a later date.
Cheers

JohnM
Great Britain

Post by JohnM » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:49 am

I am interested in this as well, I cant be of much help though as it was a long time ago since I had one in bits. Everything would be clear if you had the pump removed looking from the front.
It does seem odd that the "button" is 20mm deep, perhaps suggesting that something is already broken or missing? as surely when things are working as they should the button should not ever go in this far?
Does the bit that you can see move at all? as mentioned previously the stop control would release the button if the cold start was pressed in so wondering if this recessed bit can be pushed in any further or moves at all when the stop control is pulled?
The other strange thing is that it runs OK like this, would the tractor start from cold without using the excess fuel button?

TheCounty
Canada

Post by TheCounty » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Tractor starts and runs okay.
Pushed gently with small screwdriver but it does not seem to move further in.

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:34 am

Hi, When new the tractor would only need the cold start in frosty conditions, as they age they will need it more to start.

I had the front off one of these pumps years ago, nothing to be afraid of in there!

Regards Rick Cobley

TheCounty
Canada

Post by TheCounty » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 am

Thanks Rick.
I've a few logs to move and some other chores for the old girl, & then will likely take a more serious look.
I shall report back on my findings for sure.
Cheers
TheCounty