10/60 polarity

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
Ams432
Great Britain

10/60 polarity

Post by Ams432 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:02 pm

Hi. I discovered something odd on the Nuffield today. She didn’t start so me and my mate tried jumping her off. The battery sparked like crazy, so that failed. So did a towe start. Fired up well. I got volt meter out and checked see if battery and Dynamo was good. Now, according to the meter, the positive terminal on the battery is negative and the reverse for the negative terminal. Which is odd, ive never seen this before. I understand the nuffield 1060 was positive earth. I checked cables and they are wrong way round. Positive goes to starter not chassis. Also the dynamo is only producing 0.45 volts. Can I just put a new battery on and wire it up as positive earth?

Cheers

Jeroen Sleijpen
Tractor God
Netherlands

Re: 10/60 polarity

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:54 pm

When they rolled off the factory line, the 10/60 was positive earth. But many if not most are converted to the more standard negative earth system. Especially when someone fitted an alternator instead of the original generator.
So yours was converted and probably just working fine untill your battery went dead. You might need to polarise your gen/dynamo again when you fit a new battery because of the shortcut you've made by trying to jump start it wrongly.

Regards,

Jeroen
Leyland, Nuffield, BMC message board Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leylandnuffield/

Nuffield 10/60
Nuffield 10/42
Nuffield 342
Nuffield Universal 3

Ams432
Great Britain

Post by Ams432 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi. It’s an odd one, as the Battery is now reversed polarity according to the volt meter. So the negative terminal is now a positive terminal. I’ve got a new battery so il polarise the dynamo and see if it charges. Do you need to polarise the regulator or do we just leave that as it is?

Cheers

Jeroen Sleijpen
Tractor God
Netherlands

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:57 pm

Polarity change on a battery only happens when there is an internal shortage.

Just polarise the dynamo and fit a new battery and you'll be fine.

Jeroen
Leyland, Nuffield, BMC message board Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leylandnuffield/

Nuffield 10/60
Nuffield 10/42
Nuffield 342
Nuffield Universal 3

Freggel
Belgium

Post by Freggel » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:57 pm

I've seen batteries change polarity before. Could happen when the battery voltage drops too low and it shorts inside. Trying to recharge or use it with reversed polarity won't work. She's ready for recycling...