4/60Hydraulics

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
dhep72
United States of America

4/60Hydraulics

Post by dhep72 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:20 am

hi my 4/60s lift arms will only drop with the engine not running , when running if you push the leaver down they will lift. anybody have any susgestions

thanks

JohnM
Great Britain

Re: 4/60Hydraulics

Post by JohnM » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Hello, I am not an expert on Nuffield hydraulics and also I have a couple of 10/60 tractors so I am not sure if your tractor is the same. However lifting when the lever is down is not quite as daft as it may seem, I am pretty sure that this is how the draft control works, if an implement pushes on the top link with the lever down the arms do lift, the rate is governed by the draft control lever. This draft (on a 10/60) is monitored by a plunger connected to to top link bracket, so I would suggest looking at your tractor to see if it has a similar plunger which may possibly be stuck in.

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:40 pm

hello whats the oil like if its emusified/white its highly likely too thick and it takes that much pumping through the system it creates too much line pressure and it can make them lift when in lower . as an export tractor it would probably have gear oil in the trans/hyds and when this emusifies its like treacle .bear in mind if the old oil is very thick it will mask a worn pump so new oil might lead to finding the pump is worn and low on pressure

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi,

As above, if the draught control lever is in the most sensitive position the arms will lift when you lower the position lever as draught control on those models works by blocking the dump port.

Regards Rick Cobley

JohnM
Great Britain

Post by JohnM » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks Rick, nice to know I may have been on the right track although I didn't know that the draft lever blocked the dump port. I have recently been struggling with the top link mechanism on both my 10/60 tractors. The Belleville washers were a solid chunk of rust which I only managed to get out after welding up a tool to fit the peculiar shaped nut that holds them all in. It finally gave up resisting with a 3/4 inch drive rattle gun applied to it.
I put new seals in the PTO as well, then found oil seeping from the housing which was irritating considering how much the back end holds. The main PTO bearing housing is sealed by a large O ring but one tractor has a small O ring sealing the adjustment screw for the PTO lever at the bottom, the other one has no O ring just the shims. Do you think Nuffield modified this at some point to prevent leaks?

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:08 pm

JohnM wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:15 am
The main PTO bearing housing is sealed by a large O ring but one tractor has a small O ring sealing the adjustment screw for the PTO lever at the bottom, the other one has no O ring just the shims. Do you think Nuffield modified this at some point to prevent leaks?
I have no idea!

dhep72
United States of America

Post by dhep72 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:11 am

thanks for the replys, will check thing and report back