Temp guage

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
Ams432
Great Britain

Temp guage

Post by Ams432 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi. I’ve installed a new temp and oil guage on my 10/60. The oil works fine but the temp won’t work? The lead looks ok that goes from the guage to the engine. Can’t figure it out. Any ideas?

Also I’ve got the dynamo working. It reads like 13 to 18 volts depending on revs- this is with out the cables on the battery. As soon as I put the leads on the battery it goes down to 12.50 volts. Is this normal?

Cheers

JohnM
Great Britain

Re: Temp guage

Post by JohnM » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:25 pm

Cant really compare it to my 10/60s as they have a capillary tube, however usually on an electrical gauge if you earth the lead at the sender end the gauge would probably read full deflection.
The dynamo doesn't sound right when on load, I think on open circuit with the main and field terminal joined the voltage at the dynamo would be around 20. If the regulator is working properly it should read around 14 volts (14.2) with the battery in circuit. If the regulator is faulty new ones are pretty cheap on the well known auction website.

Ams432
Great Britain

Post by Ams432 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi. The guage is a capillary tube, looks like a copper cable in a spring. Although I had it ticking over and went for a 5 min drive, I’d of thought the gauge would of moved- but it didn’t.

DAL PZ

Post by DAL PZ » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:28 am

Might be that the sender mounting in the block is fouled up & its not allowing a reading to the gauge. Is the sender unit that they have sent you specific to the engine they do vary?

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:53 pm

take the temp probe out and put it in a pan of boiling water as for the battery gauge if its volts it might rise with no battery connected because theres no load on it .. should it have a volt meter or an ammeter ??

Ams432
Great Britain

Post by Ams432 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Thanks, I will check this and see. I was using a standard mains volt meter, with the setting at 20 volts. Would this indicate that the battery is charging still? Even though it drops when the battery is connected?

Thankyou for advice

Ley154
Great Britain

Post by Ley154 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:02 am

I may be having a senior and grey moment but one of you is talking about a capillary type gauge and another is referring to an electrical gauge!!! If the capillary type gauge is new it should be okay so if the needle doesn't move it implies the engine isn't warming up surely. Has someone removed the thermostat? The workshop manual - get one should cover the checking and adjustment of the dynamo control box - it does sound like some adjustment is needed. John

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:18 am

mains voltage ??if your measuring DC using an AC meter it wont register correctly make sure your meter is set for DC. if your battery is fully charged it will drop to 12.5 v because its no need to charge you dont want more than 14.2 when it is charging and it should drop to 12.5 . make sure the fan belt is tight and remember you can adjust the cut in and cut off voltage of the regulator the letters on the regulator are D dynamo E earth A ammeter F field . D is the main charge wire E black earth A runs to your ammeter F field is the small wire to the dynamo . just had a flash back make sure the earth is good to the regulator ive had a few that sort of worked but not properly and it was a bad earth that caused it .

Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:26 am

Ams432 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm
Thanks, I will check this and see. I was using a standard mains volt meter, with the setting at 20 volts. Would this indicate that the battery is charging still? Even though it drops when the battery is connected?

Thankyou for advice
It is quite possible for the dynamo to give a highish voltage on open circuit yet be no good when connected to a load. The fact that the voltage drops to 12.5 suggests that is the case. Cause could be dynamo itself or control box as has already been suggested. Checking dynamo brushes and replacing if necessary is an easy and cheap first step.

Regards