4/60

A place for projects, conversions, bitsas etc.......
Nuffield_Paul
Great Britain

Re: 4/60

Post by Nuffield_Paul »

Lovely work Joe,

I'm likely to fit a set of steps to my 3DL as well, pops complains bitterly about climbing onto it (even though its shorter than a 4 cylinder 'Nuff), So i'm either going to purchase/fit/attempt to fit a set of four cylinder steps, which I suspect will fit straight on, or make my own, something like the attached image. This would bolt on at the bell-housing lower flange (which I've got longer bolts for), and then have an extension going backwards to attach to existing fixings, so not modifying existing parts, only adding to them, and able to be removed at a later date if required.

Paul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nuffield 3DL (1958), Ferguson TEA20 (1948), Ferguson TEF20 (1954)
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

Hi Paul,
There were no steps on my 460 and it was a pain climbing on board, I searched a lot of places here breakers etc but failed to find any. I suspect that most of then got damaged or bent over the years and just taken off. When I saw them appear on Charnleys I took the easy option, I had thought I would make them up myself but I went with the proper ones. worked out nice and now I just step up on and away. I'm enjoying working on my 460 which I bought last Feb and great having a project going on in these strange times.
Take care and stay safe.
Joe.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

It's awhile since I posted anything on here so I'll put up a few more pics and stuff.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

I saw a Nuffield front weight on Donedeal, it came off a 10/60 was very happy to purchase it. Made up the long bolts with treaded bar and fitted number plate holder. Was not happy with the idea of the weight hanging on 2 bolts so put 2 short bits of tube as support at bottom. One of the rear wheels 36'' is not Nuffield, off a Fordson standard Major I reckon. I found one in a breakers yard, the outer bolts are rotten so will need new, getting it shot blasted and painted at the moment. Picture of the 460 on a sunny day, it has come a long way since purchase. Next job is to take of the HPU and get the PTO and hydraulics working, hope to bale some small bales during the season, have a MF 20-8 baler so will match up nicely.
Nuffield_Paul
Great Britain

Post by Nuffield_Paul »

Coming along nicely Joe. I gather that the fordson major rims are very similar, but not identical. They do make a worthy substitute though.

I agree re the weight support, though its not subjected to a huge amount of stain, there is nothing wrong with being belt and braces, especially if it inevitably gets used as a step at some point.

Thanks.
Paul
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

Hi Paul, thanks for the comments. Was a little worried about the weight when fitted TBH, there was a small piece of casting at the RH bolt hole broke away at some stage and so just seemed weaker looking at that side. So I cut 2 short pieces of pipe which fitted over the bottom bolt head on each side, tightened up the top bolts again and all good. Yes a Fordson wheel does make a substitute if needs be but does'nt look as good, funny how we can get a bit nerdy about stuff like that .
All the best, Joe.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

MY completed dash, 2 items are original, the oil pressure gauge and the button press which I use for the horn, everything else is new. Water temp and amp gauge, light switch, ignition switch, pull stop, panel light. Top left is a cigarette lighter, I don't smoke but use it with a USB insert.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

https://youtu.be/19IPx5tZZdw
A video I took on Sunday 28/2/2021 a lovely sunny morning trip To Geashill using a headcam.
Nuffield_Paul
Great Britain

Post by Nuffield_Paul »

Totally agree, yesterday I was pointing out to my dad about the RH side linkage support bracket being loose but the bolts won't tighten up, he said "cut them off, I'll get some metric", I glared at him..

This is the thing with original tractors, you end up desperate to maintain originality and 'the look'.

Cheers, Paul.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »