Leyland 255 Electric Conversion

A place for projects, conversions, bitsas etc.......
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Re: Leyland 255 Electric Conversion

Post by Nowtnew »

Just as a matter of interest, have you got or do you intend to incorporate regenerative braking?

Good luck and congratulations so far.😀

LrBen
Great Britain

Post by LrBen »

Nowtnew wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:58 am Just as a matter of interest, have you got or do you intend to incorporate regenerative braking?
The firmware on the tractor right now doesn't have regen. However there is a later release which I am using in a different project and that does have regen. So at some point I will update the tractor firmware and play with regen, I just need to copy across the changes I have made to get the charger working.
I'm a little hesitant to put in too much regen with the test battery pack, it's a little fragile and probably won't enjoy the amp spikes that regen can create.

The next development step after regen is cruise control which I think will really help in this application. Currently the throttle controls torque request to the motor, so with variable loads the speeds fluctuates and you need to adjust the throttle constantly. This get's very tiring with the foot throttle and it's fiddly with the hand throttle.
With cruise control I can set it to whatever rpm I want, then it will automatically adjust the torque request to keep the speed constant.
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

Thanks for your answer.
I imagine regen would be very handy as the tractor would have negligible 'natural' engine braking compared with an i/c engined machine and would tend to run away on slopes.

Regards