DM4 with Perkins 6.354 conversion.

A place for projects, conversions, bitsas etc.......
joedev151
Ireland

DM4 with Perkins 6.354 conversion.

Post by joedev151 »

I bought a DM4 with a Perkins 6.354 fitted, very neatly done. The common way of such a conversion is to cut the chassis and plate it, this one was done by making up the extra length and fitting it at the front.
A lot of work has been done on this tractor and more needs to be done , I will post my progress as I go along.
My 460 is almost complete, not that you'd ever be finished on a vintage tractor but I'm happy with it. This will be a nice winter project.

Tractorman-nz
New Zealand

Re: DM4 with Perkins 6.354 conversion.

Post by Tractorman-nz »

A nice tidy conversion
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

Many thanks, yes it is a tidy conversion. I had my eye out for a 6cyl and being a Universal was an added bonus, I learned how to drive on a Universal P4 similar to this, sliding axle and belt pully, fell in love with it straight away. Needs some work done, mudguards, bonnet stretched, air cleaner and exhaust rearranged. Need new tyres too eventually, anyway a nice project.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

I started doing a couple of small jobs, fitted a water temp gauge and a stop cable, the temp gauge was straightforward enough, the cable needed a bit more work. I made an end holder from a bit of glavoband twisted and a small hosepipe clip, the little lug on the stopper arm for threading the wire through was missing so went with a plan B.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

The belt pully when turned by hand sounded rough and dry so took off the pully and seal hub. Bearings seem good so I tapped in a grease nipple, fitted a new seal, a metric off the shelf seal fitted perfectly, made a paper gasket, put it all back and turning sweetly now.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

Next job up is to tackle LH side axel. Mudguard bracket bolts badly rusted so cut them off and 2 of them screwed out easy and 1 stubborn so gave it some heat and out it came.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

The sliding hub bolts were seized solid so lot of heat, a 3/4" drive socket, King Dick T-bar and long bar, a bit of grunt and they moved, impact gun done the rest. My DM4 still has the full length shafts, most were cut off at the hub most likely in anger after knocking a gate post or two.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

New felt seal and 2 lip seals fitted and paper gasket made. Wear collar polished up and no wear tracks visible, seal hub on with new studs. Wheel hub back in place and wheel on, one more job done.
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

Finished fitting new mudguards and replaced all the bolts on the flange holding stabilizers and hitch mount. Old ones badly rusted so cut heads off and applied lots of heat, made a starter punch from an old T-bar socket holder. Grounded off the bevel and held in place with wire, one good whack with a sledge started to shift, used an old railway bolt to drive out .
joedev151
Ireland

Post by joedev151 »

The LH side steering lever was right up tight to the old tyre . Needed to fit new tyre but still rubbing, so after some heat and my trusty hydraulic puller the lever came off. Cleaned up the splines and moved it over two splines, freed up the adjuster and set the difference , all good.