bmc 950 mini .. looking info on where the serial number is for the chassis is located it production year is 29 10 1965

A place for general BMC questions and chat
gavin robo
Great Britain

bmc 950 mini .. looking info on where the serial number is for the chassis is located it production year is 29 10 1965

Post by gavin robo »

hello just bought a little bmc mini 950 d , and wanting to apply for a v5c for it .. but its chassis number and number plate is missing from the seat/tank mount so looking to see if the numbers on the casting are the same as what the vin plate would have been ..
B,T,J,I .. IDA 21405 .. 29 10 1965 and also the engine number is bad to read but would T/ D 507 look right for the engine number ?? or should there be some more numbers between the / and the D ?? many thanks Gav

Ley154
Great Britain

Re: bmc 950 mini .. looking info on where the serial number is for the chassis is located it production year is 29 10 19

Post by Ley154 »

The numbers quoted "1965" are just the casting numbers on the gearbox and do not refer to build date. The link given should let you read the engine number. However the important part is the serial number. This should be on a riveted plate fixed to the left hand seat mounting bracket above the fuel tank - see photo. The top number refers to the model 9/16 and the second line has 3 sets of digits. The actual serial number is the last group and will be between 101 and 4301. For registration speak to Dave Morgan who will guide you through the whole process and sort out an age related number from the DVLA. Contact Dave on Telephone; 01454 311684 or Mobile; 07747 608341
Ley154
Great Britain

Re: bmc 950 mini .. looking info on where the serial number is for the chassis is located it production year is 29 10 19

Post by Ley154 »

Part 2 of my reply: If everything is missing ie no plate and serial plate there is one more place to look and you may be lucky. Immediately behind the gearbox lid there is a flat area about an inch wide for the width odf the gearbox. If you sit on the seat and look down at this area you should find a number beginning with 9a or b. This is the gearbox number. On the right hand side of this flat section you MAY find another number under the paint- again it should be between 101 and 4301. This is the serial no. If there is nothing there I suggest you send me a personal message and I may be able to offer an alternative solution!! John Poulter.
gavin robo
Great Britain

Post by gavin robo »

Rick Cobley wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:33 pm Hi, Try this

https://www.charnleys.com/pdfs/5f561f92 ... -guide.pdf

Regards Rick Cobley
cheers Rick
gavin robo
Great Britain

Post by gavin robo »

Ley154 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:42 pm The numbers quoted "1965" are just the casting numbers on the gearbox and do not refer to build date. The link given should let you read the engine number. However the important part is the serial number. This should be on a riveted plate fixed to the left hand seat mounting bracket above the fuel tank - see photo. The top number refers to the model 9/16 and the second line has 3 sets of digits. The actual serial number is the last group and will be between 101 and 4301. For registration speak to Dave Morgan who will guide you through the whole process and sort out an age related number from the DVLA. Contact Dave on Telephone; 01454 311684 or Mobile; 07747 608341
thank you for the info , i have a engine number but its a bit hard to make out some of the numbers / letters , but after looking up some other info about bmc engines i think the engine number i have is correct ,, so will have to have a bit of a scraping session on top of the gear box to see if theres any stamped numbers .. the plate must have been removed when its was painted up and not put back on . regards Gavin
Morley
Wales

Post by Morley »

The best place for casting numbers is off the back axles and I (DAVE MORGAN) have had an interesting conversation with DVLA concerning lack of vin / serial numbers. They said to me that if I can date a tractor from these casting numbers they will issue the owner with a DVLA generated vin number and after that we can then go down the road of getting you an age related number plate. There is a operation in the process but that is different in that DVLA had a record of the number plate but at some time the chassis had been replaced and the serial number was not put back on, My number has already been put in your answers, so ring me and we can see where it will take us.