5.1 injection pump opinions

An area for general discussion
muddyweb
Great Britain

5.1 injection pump opinions

Post by muddyweb »

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of info / some opinions about injection pumps.

I have a 5.1 lump going into my 460, and am in the process of giving it a bit of an overhaul (it was a bit of a state). I've done the top-end, and am currently sorting out the liners / pistons. Next on my list will be the fuel system.

I'm not sure of the origins of the engine, but I imagine it was fitted to a truck at some point. It has the head gasket with many holes, so it may be an earlier variant?

It's currently fitted with a CAV rotary pump, and '2B' injectors. But... at some point in its history, someone has removed the bracketry between the front cover and pump, and bolted the pump straight to the back of the housing. This means that the pipwork is all butchered, and the injector pump drive gear doesn't sit in line with the rest of the timing gears.. it's possibly not even the right gear, since the pump shaft only sits about halfway in.

So, I need to consider my options. I want to get the pump tested / possibly rebuilt, but I don't really want to put it all back together the way it is. I haven't had much luck finding the brackets for this engine / pump. Unless, they happen to be the same as a 4-cylinder engine, and I'm just missing the point.

I've also seen a lot of talk about minimec pumps fitted to these engines, and I'm not against that (since I have to replace all the pipes, etc. anyway). But, I'm not sure which model of pump will fit.. and again, which brackets I may need to actually bolt it all together. I have the injection pump / mounts from a couple of old 3.8 engines, in case they're any help.

So, the upshot is... I need to sort the fuel system out... all the injectors probably need new nozzles at a minimum, and I need to sort out the pump... can anyone shed any light / offer any opinions on the best route?

--

Tim

Nuffield 460 (in pieces!)
Nuffield Universal 4
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Re: 5.1 injection pump opinions

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, The hydraulic governed dpa pump is not best suited to tractor because of its soft governing.
It is possible to fit a minimec pump to the 6 cylinder engine, the pump is usually sourced from a Ford tractor with the low throttle shaft like the Nuffield and can be fitted to the alloy mount on the timing case like a 4/60 or 10/60, the 4 cylinder injector pipes will fit the front 4 cylinders and you just need to get two pipes made for the back cylinders.

Regards Rick Cobley
muddyweb
Great Britain

Post by muddyweb »

That's great info, thanks Rick. Funnily enough I just saw your video of Facebook of you running one up - it sounds lovely!

Do you happen to know any of the pump models which would be suitable? (I think the one in your vid is P53707?)

I need to get scouring the web for something suitable... unless you happen to have anything lying around for sale!

Cheers
--

Tim

Nuffield 460 (in pieces!)
Nuffield Universal 4
Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley »

Hi, Sorry nothing for sale, the Ford truck pumps can be fitted but levers are in the wrong place.

The Ford tractors pumps like in the picture above are better as they have the correct governor spring for a tractor, but take a bit of finding.

Regards Rick Cobley
APH463
Great Britain

Post by APH463 »

is this what your after numbers on the pump are SPE 6A 75S 618 and P850 94/RMD this pump came off a 5.1 , it was done up about 30 years ago I've had the cold start off it and the oil seals want doing , I've also got 2 new and 1 used head gaskets for an early 5.1 get in touch if any good. Phil
daniel878
United States of America

Post by daniel878 »

For the bracketry issue, you may have to get creative. It's possible that the brackets you need aren't readily available, so you may have to fabricate something or adapt brackets from a different engine.
Regarding the minimec pumps, it's important to ensure that you get the right model that will fit your engine properly.