Tach missing cover?

A place for general BMC questions and chat
Kyler Hadsall
United States of America

Tach missing cover?

Post by Kyler Hadsall »

I just purchased my uncle's BMC 9 16. and after starting to clean the oil/grease/dirt off the machine I discovered what appears to be a missing cover. I believe this is the tach drive. I was wondering if I have to get a new drive or is there a cover for this?

Ley154
Great Britain

Re: Tach missing cover?

Post by Ley154 »

I can't quite make it out but I think the gear that powers the rev counter cable which is below the main gear you can see is missing. If so you will need a new/good used angle drive. Try Northwoods in Wisconsin or there are suppliers in the UK. The drive is unique to the 9/16 and one version of the Aston Martin car and even though it looks the same as the common ( and cheaper) one found on many other BMC vehicles it is not. John Poulter.
Ley154
Great Britain

Post by Ley154 »

Forgot to answer the question! There is a cap missing which is staked in position. Its like a small core plug. I have checked and replica drives are available in the UK and can be posted if you can't get one locally. John P.
Ley154
Great Britain

Post by Ley154 »

I should have given a more comprehensive answer. The main reason the staked caps drop out of the angle drive is because the rev counter head or the drive cable seizes and because the drive goes on turning and the gears are helical they want to push out of the casing hence the caps come out. Check the cable and rc before you buy a new angle drive. John Poulter.