Leyland 272

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
James1428
United States of America

Leyland 272

Post by James1428 »

Just purchased a leyland 272 and I'm confused on how switch from using the loader and use the 3point. Can someone pls help? I'm located in the usa

Nowtnew
Great Britain

Re: Leyland 272

Post by Nowtnew »

It can be arrnged in more than one way. If you can post a few photos showing what controls/piping you have it will be helpful but, meanwhile, the most likely way is that the loader will only work when the small 'auxiliary' lever is at the rear (marked lift).
In this position the hydraulic flow will be diverted to the loader's valve block and the 3 point won't work.
The quadrant has a thumbscrew lock to enable the lever to be held back to facilitate continuous loader operation.

Regards
James1428
United States of America

Post by James1428 »

James1428
United States of America

Post by James1428 »

I've tried to move square lever to aux and it still doesn't work. The loader works fine but can't get 3point to activate
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

As photographed, the aux lever is in the position to supply the loader. It must be forward for the 3 point to work. Is it locked back by the wheel on the side?

Also, is your lift at the top and wont go down? If so the mechanical latch may be engaged. This is the mushroom shaped knob on top of the cross shaft. It has to be lifted and rotated to release it. Take the weight of the lift arms to do this. Even in loader position the 3 point should drop.

You might find a handbook useful. Reprints are available quite cheaply, or look at the workshop manuals section of this forum while logged in. Also, by the looks of things, the tractor hasn't seen a grease gun recently. (Judging by the nipples (you call them zerks?) on the cross shaft).

Looking forward to the next report. :)
James1428
United States of America

Post by James1428 »

Good morning, I've released the arms from locking mechanism. I've also moved that lever and the loader stops but the 3point still won't move withe lever closest to seat, almost like it's not plumbed in. I'm in the process of changing the zerts out just haven't made it back there yet.
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

You're up early are you not?

So, are the arms now down?
All the plumbing for the lift is internal, apart from the bit that comes out for the HP filter on the left..and goes back in.
If the lift has been out of use for a long time the unloading valve can stick. This means that the lift will not raise. It doesn't stop it going down however. I presume you have tried 'draught' mode as well as 'position'
I'll try to find a link to an article on the unloader valve.

Edit:

Here it is
https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/762142 ... -228k?da=y
Last edited by Nowtnew on Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
James1428
United States of America

Post by James1428 »

Yes I'm a truck driver and started early today... lift arms are down and also tried all positions.
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

See above. I edited it before I realised you had replied.
From what you have said I think there is a very good chance that's the culprit.
James1428
United States of America

Post by James1428 »

Thank you for the reply I will try that when I get home