Leyland 272

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Re: Leyland 272

Post by Nowtnew »

Another thought occurs.
If the tractor has spent a long time with the aux control in the lift position (for the loader) it might be a good idea just to run it for a while with the aux in the other (lower) position and periodically try the lift. It just might unstick itself.
Either way, good luck

James1428
United States of America

Post by James1428 »

Ok I'll try that too, I bought this way and previous owner said it worked but wasn't sure how to activate it. One guy told me it looks like whoever put the loader on plumbed it just for the loader but I'm not sure how he could tell by the pics. I will post some pics
James1428
United States of America

Post by James1428 »

Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

I can't see anything suspicious about the plumbing.
If the rear outlets on the bar go to the loader cylinders and the r.h. Outlet from the tractor(aux outlet) goes to the valve block and the block is connected to the pipe which goes into the oil filler(return pipe) then it's as i would expect. Connecting the loader by the quick release connectors was, presumably, to make it easy to use the valve block for another implement.

The only unusual thing I can see is that the hydraulics by pass filter is absent and replaced by a plate and some pipes. Normally this is a totally separate circuit driven by its own section from the pump.
James1428
United States of America

Post by James1428 »

Ok thank you so much for helping. I saw the pics of the unloader valve, is it a hard to do job?
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

Never done the job myself, but i believe the main hazard is losing stuff into the sump. Hence the recommendation to stuff it full of rags. (Forget my comment about the missing filter, could be a supply to wet brakes as fitted to later tractors.)
When you take the top off make sure that you take note of how the three legged lever sits as it is possible to damage it if the top is replaced carelessly. Also take note of the warning not to start the engine with the top off.
Dixie normous
Great Britain

Post by Dixie normous »

A question for Nowtnew, if the H/P line has been tapped for the loader and is running to a spool block with an open return In neutral, would that not keep the pressure away from the lift cylinder unless the loader line was closed off? I may be talking rubbish but could that be the issue?
Black smoke dont mean its broke
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

Hi John
Im assuming that the loader is being fed from the aux tapping and that consequently will be under the control of the aux valve. James ( I'm guessing here that that's a first name) has said that the loader doesn't work when the aux valve is forward so this is consistent. Also he says he was told that it used to work. However, on a 40 plus year old machine who knows for sure. :D
Cheers
Paul
Dixie normous
Great Britain

Post by Dixie normous »

Hi Paul, that makes perfect sense and I should learn to read things more thoroughly!!!
Black smoke dont mean its broke
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

And I should look more thoroughly at the photos. My 'observation' about the oil filter/brakes was clearly incorrect. The filter is there but displaced from its normal position. I don't think this has anything to do with the current problem, but it must have been modded for some reason.

Sorry James, Dixie and myself are digressing.....as we tend to do. :D