245 Clutch issue

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
ricmar
Australia

245 Clutch issue

Post by ricmar »

G'Day,
This has probably beenposted before but it seems that I have a stuck clutch. This morning after tractor sitting around 4 months went to put in gear but would not go in and was grinding gears. Put into 1st gear and fuel shut off started and it lurched forward. Just wondering if I put it into 5th Hi and try this , fuel on so tractor drives, would this help free clutch or damage it. Or am I looking at splitting tractor and replacing clutch. Cheers.

Tractorman-nz
New Zealand

Re: 245 Clutch issue

Post by Tractorman-nz »

worth a try
mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l »

HI if that does not work for you start it in gear and drive it until it gets nice and warm then stop tractor and pin the clutch down over night as it cools it might break free as the differnt parts cool at a different rate Mike
ricmar
Australia

Post by ricmar »

Thanks for the replies. Will give it a go a couple of times before replacing clutch plates and bearings. It is almost a 50 year old tractor and I dont know what has been done to it in the past.
Tractorman-nz
New Zealand

Post by Tractorman-nz »

Hi ricmar, tie down clutch pedal,leave a couple of days then jack up one rear wheel off ground and put gearbox in top gear and then rock wheel visiosly backwards and forwards, it might free, I have in the past had to split tractor and chisle clutch plates off flywheel or preasure plat