255 3 point very slow

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
Cfritsch
United States of America

255 3 point very slow

Post by Cfritsch »

Hi everyone, I bought a 255 leyland last year that hadn’t run in years. I got it running good but the 3 point wasn’t working. I free’d up the quad levers, ended up pulling the top 3 point arms and freeing the pressure springs. Got it back together and the 3 point started working but moving extremely slow, about 5 minutes to get to top height. I followed the instructions to adjust the controls, then the 3 point stopped working all together, I also never heard the relief valve go off like the instructions stated. The remote hydraulics work but not the 3 point. I’m at a loss, I believe all the internal and linkage is assemble properly. Also the main control set to raise lowered the arms and visa versa which didn’t make sense. Thank you, I’ve been working on this for a few months, read all the posts here and can’t figure this darn thing out.

Nowtnew
Great Britain

Re: 255 3 point very slow

Post by Nowtnew »

Depending on what you have connected to the auxiliary output, can you

a) dump the output into a container to get an idea of flow rate?

b) block off the outlet to get the relief valve to blow when you hold the aux. lever back?

If both the above are satisfactory then there is nothing wrong with the pump, inlet strainer etc.

Regards

Additional info.

If all else seems ok, this might be relevant:

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc/762142 ... -228k?da=y
Cfritsch
United States of America

Post by Cfritsch »

Thanks for the link! When I had the top cover off I had the top part of the unloaded valve off after finding it was stuck but didn’t take the rest of it out. I’ll take it back apart and clean it up.

I can feel decent pressure in the aux hose and can hear the tractor bog down slightly if I hold the lever without an attachment on.
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

Let us know how you get on.
Good luck
Cfritsch
United States of America

Post by Cfritsch »

Thank you for the help! I got it all working smoothly. The unloaded valve was so stuck I though it was part of the valve assembly. 30 minutes of fussing with it and I got it free with an easy out. Now on to fixing the power steering that only works one direction. Thank you from a small town in Wisconsin, USA!
Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew »

That's great news.
Regarding your steering, this thread might help:

viewtopic.php?t=5147